3 January 2015

Mulled wine - jugaad recipe

This winter holiday drink is one of my favorite memories of Christmas. For our Saturday night lounge-in at home, I thought of making it. I looked online for recipes and found, as expected, ingredients missing from my kitchen. Four primary things required:

1. Red wine - had a bottle that I picked up for the evening.
2. Spices - always available in an Indian kitchen
3. Sugar - always available in all kitchens
4. Lemons and oranges - these were the missing items. I substituted orange marmalade.


And, here's what I did:

- took a pot, added 3 tablespoons of demerara sugar, a stick of cinnamon, 3 cloves, quarter inch of a vanilla bean and 2 bay leaves. Instead of the lemons and oranges, I added a tablespoon of marmalade. To this added 1/2 cup of water. Allowed it to boil till sugar was completely dissolved and aroma of spices was permeating the periphery of the pot.
- Added half a bottle of the red wine and star anise. Allowed it to heat gently.
- tada! all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment