17 February 2014

Bees in the compost

Day 0
I empty my kitchen waste into the compost every 2-3 days. Last week, when I went to dump out one lot, I saw a few bees buzzing around, in and out from the lid. I noticed them, thought it was a good sign because they would help pollination.

Day 3 
I saw this.


Luckily, I am not allergic to bees. I was just stunned - what could they possibly like in the compost? Encyclopaedic google was my first stop. Suggestions ranged from smoking them out, basically killing them, or waiting it out for them to complete their residency. Killing was out of the question; they haven't harmed me, why should I harm them? Waiting it out too seemed difficult. Where will I put the compost in the meantime? These chaps can hang around there for months.

I emailed a bee expert who works at my institute. Meanwhile I thought I would leave the lid of the compost open. May be that would make them uncomfortable?

Day 4
They decamped! Leaving an unfurnished hive. A beautiful net like mosaic. Isn't nature beautiful?




No comments:

Post a Comment