27 January 2014

Reading list

This stack of books is what is on my bedside table. 

I typically have two books that I read simultaneously. One fiction, the other non-fiction. A pile of 5 books is unusual. It all started with Albert Camus' novel - A happy death. It has been difficult getting through it, and to give myself a break from it I kept adding books to the pile. The Vonnegut is classic, and though easy to read (Short sentences, simple words), is a brilliant caustic observation of human behaviour which eventually leaves me cynical. The Gita, is a filler. I am in Chapter 2 where sissy-boy Arjun is getting a dressing down by Krishna. Of course, one can't read the Gita as a novel, but this version is a transliteration of the original lectures given by Swami Ranganathananda of the Ramakrishna Mission. Swamiji liberally uses examples from politics, day to day living to convey the message of a sloka. Indira Gandhi was still alive when it was published and her "Roti, Kapada, Makaan" motto features. We have an extensive collection of books, two libraries that we combined when we started to live together. Alice in Wonderland is from N's collection - a tangential comment, I think no matter how old we get, we will always know which is "his" book and "my" book. Every time a reference is made to Alice's adventures I think I should read her story. I got started, but it has not me so engrossed that I feel compelled to finish it. The short stories by Gulzar was a Christmas gift. The perfect way to spend 10mins between chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment