6 May 2013

Karnataka elections 2013 - Voting experience

Fortunately, the Election Commission is prepared for illiterate voters like me. When I got to my polling station there were more volunteers than voters. I produced a slip of paper (white) and was given another slip of paper (Pink). I forgot my Voter ID card; I had actually gone to check up on the waiting time situation and did not expect it to be negligible. Luckily, I had my Driver's License on me which was acceptable.

There was absolutely no loitering around at the polling station. You showed your ID like you do at the airport, and are immediately ushered towards an officer who based on my part number assigned me a door. I walked through and was greeted by yet another set of people who checked the pink slip and my ID. Then my nail was blemished. I entered the voting booth.

Yikes. It was all in Kannada! I was thankful that our voting system took illiteracy into consideration because without the symbols there would have been no way for me to know who I was voting for. It took me a few minutes to figure out what to do and there was no heckling. So I went through all the pictures, hoping to recognize what I wanted. I pressed the button, got a loud beep and then was promptly asked to exit the premises. No loitering, like I said.

It took all of 5 minutes and worked very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment