31 January 2012

Lemongrass flowers

One of the first things I started to grow was lemongrass, because a friend had introduced me to the joys of having it in tea. With time, the plant has grown and it's aromatic stalk has been a great addition to soups, salads and tea. This plant was also my first success as a gardener and I was pleased as a punch when I was asked to provide stalks as a starter for other people. One such stalk went to my friend A. Almost a year later, A reported that her plant had flowers. I scoffed and sneered. For good measure I also made unpleasant remarks about her eyesight. Not to be undermined, A sent me a picture of the plant, and later when I visited her home, ensured that I got visual confirmation. Now I was annoyed - why hadn't my plant done this? To further aggravate me emotionally, my colleague in Office, who got his stalk from me, reported that his was starting to flower too. But a few weeks later, my plant started to put out long shoots as well and lo, they turned into flowers. Aren't they beautiful? I have never seen this happen to a lemongrass before and find them delightful. I now have to figure out how to save seeds from this crop. But meanwhile, I am enjoying the lemongrass gone wild.

11 comments:

  1. nice! where did you get yours? these also have seeds? i'm very intersted cause i want to grow them too but only would like the ones that flowered

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you live in Bangalore, and would like to pick up from me, I can prepare a stalk for you to take home. My original plant came from a nursery in Jeevanbhimanagar, Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to have one too. But i live in the USA. Will you be willing to send it internationally? Contact me @ jball04@hotmail.com Thanks, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Mike. I don't think it's legal. Besides, the stalk won't survive the shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Megha Google shows your post at the top when searching with "lemongrass seeds bangalore" :-). Can you please provide the name of the nursery in jeevanbheenagar or prepare a stalk for me. I live in Koramangala near Sony Signal. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear RVSW,

    The nursery would be closer to you. The address: Association for People with Disability, APD Horticulture Training Centre 9th B Main, LIC Colony,
    HAL 3rd Stage, Jeevan Bhima Nagar
    Bangalore- 5600075.
    Phone: (91 80) 25288672

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrat megha!lemongrass flower is symbol of prosperity. could you send me some cutting of ur flower? i know how to thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mzikra,

    These flowers bloomed a long time ago and I lost the cutting that I kept when we moved. Sorry, can't help. I recently repotted my plant and don't expect flowers for another year or so.

    Megha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Megha,

    Can you please prepare a stalk for me. I live near by whitefield. im intetested to plant lemon grass in my home. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Megha - i live in gurgaon and i have a lemon grass plant. its gone completely dry with no green leaves / stalks. what do i do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Unknown,

    Late reply - apologies. The best thing to do would be to get a fresh stalk. If your stalk still has roots, you can try re-potting it in 1:1:1 soil:cocopeat:manure. Do not water too often. That's probably why the stalk died. Touch the surface of the pot and it should be completely dry before watering. Ensure sufficient drainage so excess water can run off. The best advice I always have is: resist the urge to water too often!

    ReplyDelete