13 April 2009

Edinburgh Half Marathon

Another medal. This one for the half marathon I ran past weekend in the old and beautiful city of Edinburgh. 

I have missed writing the last few weeks and its mainly been because I have a job that involves wilting under the glare of computer screens all day long (they are not even macs; the horror!) and so, I have had no appetite at the end of the day to sit and type. In order to give my cyber life a buzz, I bought a new laptop and hope the excitement of learning all about it will force me to sit under its halo at least a few extra evenings more than what I have been accomplishing. 

Back to the race, if I may call it that because at the pace I run I definitely do not race, instead merely doing somewhere between a fast amble and a trot. It was a beautiful sunny day in Edinburgh and the course was all along the coast. The picture uploaded was taken right before we descended next to the water and basically the course hugged the coastline as you see it. I was worried about it being hilly but it was pleasantly flat. What was annoying was the wind which gusted with such ferocity from the North sea that it made me thankful for having donned everything short of my skiing jacket for the run. I enjoyed the regular things about such races: grabbing drinks from people's hand, littering the streets with half finished drinks and exchanging high fives with children dotting the route. For my efforts I was rewarded with a mars bar, a banana and a shirt which was two sizes too big for me. 

Although memorable as most experiences of such nature are, what I will remember from this race is an epiphany I had at about mile 10. Because the course was designed in such a way that you could see along the coast right back to the point you started I looked up from mile 10 and couldn't believe how far I had come. Translate that to a mushy life sentiment and I realized that I am so busy planning the future: is there going to be food at mile 6? What type of energy drink do they have? Should I take the orange or the lemon version? and so on, that I forget all that I have done in the past. At mile 10 I'm not congratulating myself on getting to the double digit or having successfully claimed an orange energy drink but instead plotting what run:walk ratio I should maintain for a under 2:30 finish. And that works in life as well. I have never sat down and congratulated myself on the the good decisions I have made and the meandering routes I have taken to get where I am emotionally and professionally. How often do you really stop to think about how far you have come rather than how far you need to go? It's probably an innate human tendency, hard wired into the way our synapses connect, that we devote little energy to remembering battles that we fought and won, as compared to the ones we lost. So, give yourself a pat on the back sometimes, you deserve it and when the journey seems too long, just look back and see how far you have already come; then, pick up your feet and start running!

1 comment:

  1. everyday! :)

    how goes mademoiselle?

    love and hugs

    ReplyDelete