8 February 2009

Why I run

Yesterday, I stepped out into the London morning and began my run. A few minutes later I entered Regents Park. After half a mile, my breathing settled down into a routine and my legs started following their own rhythm, leaving me feeling absolutely in bliss. Recently, I have also started a meditation practise but it pales in comparison to the feeling I have when I am running. It's the only time I feel I am living in the moment - there exits no past, no pain and no future. Truly peaceful. The only other time I have felt this "oneness" is while I am dancing and I am wondering if its something about a physical activity that makes me feel 'in the zone'. Adrenalin, perhaps? Hard to say, but any analysis is quite academic because I feel good doing this and am going to continue unless that status quo changes.

Running a marathon was not on my list of things to do but it became an idea when I cheered on the thousands at the NYC marathon. Then an opportunity called Asha presented itself and I just resisted. Everything felt like a bigger priority - PhD, the logistics of training, the fear of injury and the overwhelming anxiety of being unable to finish. So that year I balked and told myself that when my life settles (what a useless term, I now think) I will train. The next year the marathon coordinator called again and I was impressed that they followed up. I caved and went for my first run to central park. I woke up at 5, drove into manhattan, was late, had to park in an horrendously expensive parking garage and worried my outfit/ shoes weren't right. I was greeted by a smiling coach and 20-odd runners of various capacities. We started running and I haven't looked back since. The whole training has transformed the way I look at myself physically and emotionally. In fact, its been so transfomative that I would recommend running a marathon to anyone with self -esteem issues. Of course there were other incentives - I ran for a cause which made motivation easier, had a fabulous support team (friends who reserved parking for me in mid town and had meals ready later! etc) and a generous donor base.

Running has helped me in several ways. It has given me the confidence to accomplish anything; all I need is a good plan and dedication. It gives me something to do and talk about. It allows me to enjoy parks, running trails and water fountains like never before. I have had several "flashing lightbulb" ideas while running and its changed the way I think about packing such as, "how many shorts should I take?" Lastly, its helped me become more spiritual, strange as that may sound.


It has also taught me that I had a lot of prejudices and ideas about an activity without even trying it, which is not always the best way to enjoy life. Our mind is a powerful organ and if it has the will, you will feel like a Kenyan even though you might be running like a tortoise. So go out there and experience things for yourself. If you would like to get started with a marathon training program, please do consider running for Asha.


(P.S. the team asha webpage is looking funny on my computer right now, but the individual links are working fine)

No comments:

Post a Comment