For our celebrations I adapted candles I saw at a devi temple to become floating candles. I'm sure many people already know about these candles but, here's the protocol that my grandma and I optimized.
- Cut lemon in half.
- Squeeze out juice throughly. Make sure not to bruise the skin or puncture it. Use lemon juice for refreshing lime soda.
- After feeling refreshed, turn the lemon inside out. Wipe the skin with a dish cloth to remove all moisture. Place in a bowl of water to make sure it will float. We laid the candle gently on the water and watched it for 3-5 minutes ...basically the time it took for us to clean the rest of the lemons.
- If lemon floats, set it aside. Test all lemons before turning them into candles.
- To make candle take a cotton wick dipped in ghee and place in the center of lemon boat. Pour about 2-3mL of oil. Gently lay candle in the bowl you want it in. Now light it.
- Candles prepared this way lasted 30 - 45 mins. If you want them to last longer you'll have to top off the oil or change wicks.
- We placed our candles in a brass shallow pot (urulu) in the midst of flowers.